Setup Windows Live Mail (Windows 7)
Windows Live Mail
If you just bought a new computer with Windows 7 on it, you may be surprised
to learn that it does not come with an email package installed. However,
Windows Live Mail is available to Windows 7 users as a free download.
When you download Live Mail, the Windows Live site will try to get you
to subscribe to other services and get you to signup for a Windows Live
ID. You don't need to do this, however, if you just want the mail program.
Download Windows Live Mail:
Setup Windows Live Mail
- Get Windows Live Mail by going to download.live.com/wlmail.
- Click the Download button on this page and, when prompted,
choose to Run this file from its current location.
- Once the installer is complete, you'll see a program selection
menu. You can check Mail, but do not need
to check any other programs. You may be prompted to close
other open programs to continue.
- As the program installs, it may prompt you to "Set
your search provider" or "Set your home page".
You can uncheck these boxes.
- Once complete, hit the Close button. You
do not need to signup for a Windows Live ID.
- Click the Start button, then Programs,
then the Windows Live group. Click on Windows
- If it prompts if you want to make Windows Live Mail your
default e-mail program, go ahead and accept that.
- You may be taken to a setup wizard next. If not, click the
Add e-mail account link on the left menu.
Your E-Mail & Name
- E-mail address: Type in your full email address.
- Password: Enter your Sum.net email password.
Display name: Type in your
real name the way you wish it to appear on your mail when
others receive it.
Adjust Account Settings
- Incoming e-mail server type: This should
be set to "POP3"
- Incoming Server: This should be set to
- Login ID: This should be the first part
of your email address before the "@" symbol. Do
not include the @sum.net part.
- Outgoing Server: This should be set to
- We recommend you check the box that says
"My outgoing server requires authentication".
- Click on Next.
- Once the wizard completes, right click on the account name
on the left menu and choose Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab. Uncheck
the option "Leave a copy of messages on server."
You should be all set!